How Scarcity Can Change the Way We Think — And How to Build a Better Life
When money is tight, life can feel like a series of urgent decisions.
Which bill should I pay first?
Can I afford this?
What happens if someone in my family gets sick?
Should I take this job even though it is not what I want?
Can I spend money on myself, or should I save it for something more important?
When you have enough financial security, many of these questions may stay in the background.
When you don't, they can occupy your mind every day.
Financial scarcity is not simply about having less money. It can also mean having less mental space to think about everything else.
Research on poverty and scarcity suggests that financial pressure can consume attention and make decision-making more mentally demanding. At the same time, the evidence is not as simple as saying that poverty automatically creates a particular kind of mindset. People facing financial hardship often make decisions within difficult circumstances, and some of those decisions may be perfectly understandable responses to those circumstances.
So this isn't an article about having a "poor mindset."
It is about something more useful:
How can we build a better life when our circumstances are difficult?
And how can we stop judging people for choices we may not fully understand?
When Survival Takes Most of Your Attention
Imagine you have ₹500 left until the end of the week.
You need food.
Your child needs something for school.
Your electricity bill is due.
Your phone needs to be recharged because you need it for work.
A friend asks you to contribute to something.
None of these decisions is complicated by itself.
But together, they create pressure.
Your mind keeps moving from one problem to another.
This is one reason scarcity can feel exhausting. Financial problems can demand constant attention, leaving less mental space for things that are important but not immediately urgent—planning, learning, health, relationships or long-term goals.
This doesn't mean a person becomes less intelligent.
It means circumstances can make life harder to think through.
That distinction matters.
Don't Call Yourself a Failure Because Life Is Difficult
When someone has been struggling financially for years, they may begin to think:
"I will never get ahead."
"People like me don't become successful."
"I cannot take risks."
"I should not even dream about a better life."
These thoughts can become powerful.
But a thought is not always a fact.
Your current financial situation is a circumstance.
It is not your identity.
Being poor does not mean being incapable.
Being in debt does not mean being irresponsible.
Having failed financially does not mean you will always fail.
And having fewer opportunities does not mean you have less worth.
Never turn a difficult chapter of your life into a permanent definition of yourself.
But Positive Thinking Alone Is Not Enough
There is another mistake we should avoid.
Sometimes people are told:
"Just think positively."
"Develop an abundance mindset."
"Believe you will become rich."
"Stop thinking about problems."
That advice can sound encouraging, but it can also make someone feel worse.
If you are struggling to pay rent, telling yourself that "money is everywhere" does not pay the rent.
If you don't have enough food, positive thinking does not solve hunger.
If you cannot find suitable work, believing in yourself is valuable—but you may also need skills, opportunities, information, support and access to resources.
A better life usually needs both inner change and practical change.
Your circumstances matter.
Your choices matter too.
Start With What You Can Actually Control
When life feels overwhelming, don't try to fix everything at once.
Start by separating three things:
What I can control.
What I can influence.
What I cannot control right now.
For example:
You may not control the economy.
You may not control whether a company hires you.
You may not control what other people think.
But you may be able to:
- learn a useful skill
- improve your CV
- ask someone for guidance
- reduce one unnecessary expense
- make a repayment plan
- apply for one additional opportunity
- talk honestly with your family
- protect some time for your health
- avoid taking a decision purely out of panic
Small areas of control can become the beginning of larger change.
Don't Make Big Decisions Only From Fear
Fear is useful when it tells us something needs attention.
But fear can become dangerous when it becomes the only voice making our decisions.
You might stay in a harmful situation because you are afraid of having no alternative.
You might avoid learning something new because you are afraid of failing.
You might spend money impulsively because you want temporary relief.
You might reject a good opportunity because it feels unfamiliar.
Before an important decision, try asking:
"Am I choosing this because it is right for me—or only because I am afraid?"
Sometimes fear will still be part of the answer.
That's okay.
Courage does not mean having no fear.
It means learning to make thoughtful choices even when fear is present.
Give Yourself a Small Financial Goal
"Become financially successful" is too big to act on today.
Try something smaller.
For the next 30 days, choose one financial behaviour you can realistically improve.
For example:
Track every expense.
Not to judge yourself.
Just to understand where your money goes.
Or:
Save a small fixed amount whenever possible.
Even if the amount is modest, the habit can help you build awareness.
Or:
Spend 20 minutes a day learning something that can improve your earning potential.
Or:
Pay one overdue obligation at a time.
The goal is not to become wealthy overnight.
The goal is to move from:
"My financial life is out of control."
to:
"I am beginning to understand and manage one part of it."
That change matters.
Don't Compare Your Starting Point With Someone Else's Finish Line
You may know someone who earns more than you.
Someone who owns a house.
Someone whose children attend better schools.
Someone who travels frequently.
Someone who seems to have everything figured out.
Comparison can make your own life feel smaller.
But you don't know their complete story.
And they don't know yours.
Your responsibility is not to live someone else's life.
Your responsibility is to understand your own situation and improve it, step by step.
Someone else's progress does not make your life smaller.
Learn to Ask for Help Without Losing Your Dignity
Many people struggle silently because they believe asking for help means weakness.
It doesn't.
Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is say:
"I don't know how to handle this. Can you help me think it through?"
Help can come in many forms:
A friend may know about a job.
A colleague may teach you a skill.
A family member may help you make a plan.
A professional may help you understand debt or finances.
Someone experienced may simply help you see an option you couldn't see yourself.
You don't have to solve every problem alone.
And If You Have More Than Someone Else, Don't Judge Too Quickly
This article is not only for people experiencing financial hardship.
It is also for those of us who have more stability.
When we see someone making a decision that seems strange to us, we often ask:
"Why would they do that?"
Perhaps a better question is:
"What might they be dealing with that I cannot see?"
A person may be worried about tomorrow.
They may be supporting parents.
They may have unpredictable income.
They may have debt.
They may have never been taught how to manage money.
They may simply be exhausted.
Understanding someone's circumstances does not mean agreeing with every decision they make.
It means leaving room for humanity before judgement.
That is part of LET LIVE.
Build Your Future Without Hating Your Present
Wanting a better life is not the same as rejecting the life you have today.
You can want a better income and still be grateful.
You can want a better home and still appreciate your current one.
You can want a different career and still respect the work you do today.
You can want financial independence without measuring your worth by money.
The goal is not to constantly tell yourself:
"My life isn't good enough."
The healthier thought is:
"My life can become better, and I can take one step toward that."
Think Beyond Money
Financial security matters.
But a better life is bigger than a bank balance.
Ask yourself:
Am I becoming healthier?
Am I learning?
Are my relationships becoming better?
Do I have people I can trust?
Am I becoming more confident?
Am I treating people with respect?
Am I doing work that gives me some sense of meaning?
Am I becoming the kind of person I want to be?
Money can solve many problems.
But money alone cannot answer all of life's questions.
One Small Change Can Become a Direction
You don't need to transform your entire life this week.
Choose one thing.
Learn one skill.
Save one small amount.
Apply for one opportunity.
Have one honest conversation.
Remove one unnecessary expense.
Read one useful book.
Ask one person for help.
Take one step toward better health.
Then do it again tomorrow.
Progress can look very small while you are living it.
But small steps repeated over time can change the direction of a life.
The Four Pillars of a Better Life
This is where the idea of Jiyo Aur Jeene Do becomes practical.
LIVE.
Build a life that is meaningful to you. Don't let your current circumstances convince you that your future is already decided.
LET LIVE.
Don't measure another person's life using your own circumstances. Everyone is carrying a story you may not know.
LET LOVE.
Treat yourself with compassion while you are growing. And extend that compassion to people whose struggles may be invisible to you.
LEAVE KINDER.
If you become more successful, let your success create opportunities, support and dignity for others too.
You Are More Than Your Financial Situation
Perhaps you are struggling financially right now.
Perhaps you have struggled for years.
Perhaps you grew up with very little and still carry some of those fears with you.
Or perhaps your financial situation is comfortable, but you constantly live with the fear of losing it.
Whatever your situation, remember this:
Your circumstances can influence you. They do not have to define you.
You can learn.
You can adapt.
You can ask for help.
You can make better decisions.
You can begin again.
And you can become more than the circumstances you started with.
But while building a better life for yourself, don't forget something equally important:
Don't make someone else feel smaller because their life is harder than yours.
We don't all start from the same place.
We don't all have the same opportunities.
But we can all choose how we treat one another.
One Question to Carry With You
When life feels financially or emotionally difficult, don't ask yourself:
"Why am I not where I want to be?"
Try asking:
"What is one thing I can do today that could make tomorrow a little better?"
Then do that one thing.
Tomorrow, take another step.
Not a perfect life.
Not an overnight transformation.
Just a better direction.
LIVE. LET LIVE. LET LOVE. LEAVE KINDER.

Comments
Post a Comment