Why We Exist: Jiyo Aur Jeene Do
Your salary pays for your present. What you learn can shape your future. And your life is bigger than both.
We spend a large part of our lives working.
We work to earn money.
We work to support our families.
We work to build security.
We work because we have responsibilities.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Money matters.
But there is another question we don't ask often enough:
What am I learning from the work I am doing?
Because two people can earn the same salary while gaining completely different things from their work.
One may be gaining confidence, communication skills, leadership experience, patience and the ability to solve difficult problems.
Another may be earning money but repeating the same tasks every day without learning anything new.
After five years, their salaries may look similar.
Their capabilities may not.
Work Is More Than a Paycheck
When we talk about a job, we usually ask:
How much does it pay?
Sometimes we ask:
What is the designation?
How big is the company?
What are the benefits?
How quickly can I get promoted?
What will my next salary increase be?
These questions are important.
But add one more:
What will I learn here?
A good job doesn't only give you income.
It can teach you how to:
communicate with different kinds of people
solve problems
manage pressure
work with a team
handle disagreement
take responsibility
make decisions
understand customers
manage time
lead others
recover from mistakes
adapt when circumstances change
Some of these lessons may never appear on your payslip.
But they can remain with you for decades.
Not every useful lesson comes from a training program.
Sometimes the best teacher is a difficult situation.
A demanding manager may teach you how to communicate clearly.
A difficult colleague may teach you patience and boundaries.
A failed project may teach you more about planning than a successful one.
A disagreement may teach you how to listen.
A responsibility you didn't want may teach you that you are capable of more than you thought.
Even a mistake can become valuable if we are willing to ask:
"What can this experience teach me?"
This doesn't mean we should stay in unhealthy workplaces or tolerate disrespect.
Learning does not require accepting everything.
Sometimes the lesson is:
"This is not the environment in which I want to grow."
That is learning too.
There is an important difference between:
working for money
and
working only for money.
We all need money.
But if money becomes the only measure of whether a job is valuable, we can overlook many things that determine the quality of our lives.
Imagine someone who receives a higher salary but loses all opportunity to learn.
Another person earns slightly less but is gaining valuable experience, working with talented people, developing leadership skills and becoming more capable every year.
Which person is actually growing?
There is no universal answer.
Sometimes taking the higher-paying opportunity is exactly the right decision.
Sometimes learning is more valuable.
The point is not:
"Choose learning instead of money."
The point is:
"Consider both."
This may be the most useful question in the entire article.
Where is my daily work taking me?
Not just financially.
Ask:
What skills am I building?
What kind of person am I becoming?
Am I becoming more capable?
Am I becoming better at working with people?
Am I becoming more confident?
Am I learning to handle responsibility?
Am I becoming more adaptable?
Am I doing work that has some meaning for me?
Is this experience preparing me for something I want in the future?
Because progress is not always visible immediately.
A year spent learning something difficult may not produce an immediate financial reward.
But that knowledge may open a completely different door later.
Learn From People Around You
One of the greatest advantages of working with other people is that everyone knows something you don't.
Your colleague may be better at communication.
Your manager may be better at decision-making.
Someone junior to you may understand technology better.
A customer may teach you what your organisation doesn't see.
A person from a completely different profession may show you a way of thinking you had never considered.
We don't have to compete with everyone around us.
We can learn from them.
And learning from someone doesn't make us smaller.
It makes our world bigger.
There is another side to this idea.
"Work to learn" should never become an excuse to work endlessly.
Your job is part of your life.
It is not your entire life.
You also need time for:
family
friendships
health
rest
curiosity
personal interests
helping others
simply being present
A career that makes you professionally successful but leaves no room for living is not necessarily a successful life.
This is where the idea of LIVE becomes important.
Live your life. Don't postpone living until some future promotion, salary or retirement.
We should also be careful not to judge people by their careers.
Someone may choose a stable job because their family depends on them.
Someone may choose a high-paying career because financial security matters deeply to them.
Someone may choose a simple profession because they value time and freedom.
Someone may leave a prestigious position to pursue something meaningful.
Someone else may be perfectly happy building a large career.
There is no single definition of success.
Live and let live applies to careers too.
We can choose differently without believing that everyone else has chosen incorrectly.
Money is neither the enemy nor the purpose of everything.
It provides security.
It gives us choices.
It allows us to support our families and contribute to causes we care about.
Financial responsibility matters.
But money is a tool.
The danger begins when we allow it to become the only measure of our worth.
A person can have a large income and still be poor in relationships, health, peace or purpose.
Another person may earn less and yet live a deeply meaningful life.
And of course, financial difficulty is real. Telling someone simply to "follow their passion" while ignoring their responsibilities is not wisdom.
We need both realism and aspiration.
Earn responsibly.
Learn continuously.
Live fully.
You don't need to change your job tomorrow.
Start smaller.
At the end of each week, ask yourself:
What did this week teach me?
Write down one thing.
It could be:
I learned how to handle a difficult conversation.
Or:
I learned something new about my profession.
Or:
I realised that I need to become better at managing my time.
Or:
I learned that I react too quickly when I feel criticised.
Or simply:
I discovered that I enjoy helping people solve problems.
After a year, you may have a list of 50 lessons.
That list may tell you more about your growth than your annual appraisal ever could.
Your job gives you an opportunity.
Your salary is one part of that opportunity.
Learning is another.
Relationships are another.
Experience is another.
And the person you become through those experiences may be the greatest return of all.
So don't ask only:
"How much am I earning?"
Also ask:
"What am I learning?"
And perhaps most importantly:
"What kind of person is my work helping me become?"
Because the goal isn't to spend your entire life working.
The goal is to use your work, your experiences and your abilities to build a life that is meaningful to you — while making life a little better for the people around you.
That brings us back to our four simple ideas:
LIVE
Build a career that supports a life worth living.
LET LIVE
Respect that other people may define career success differently from you.
LET LOVE
Treat colleagues, employees, customers and partners as people — not merely as resources.
LEAVE KINDER
Whatever workplace you leave behind, try to leave the people, processes and environment a little better than you found them.
The next time you receive a new assignment, start a new job or face a difficult situation at work, don't ask only:
"What will I get from this?"
Also ask:
"What can I learn from this?"
And then ask one question further:
"How can I use what I learn to create a better life — for myself and for others?"
Work to learn. Learn to grow. Grow to live better.
For the next seven days, write down one thing you learned from your work each day.
At the end of the week, look at your list.
You may discover that your work is teaching you much more than you realised.
And if it isn't teaching you anything anymore, perhaps that is an important lesson too.
Your salary pays for your present. What you learn can shape your future. But your life is bigger than both.
Think of someone who is working hard right now but may be measuring their entire journey only through salary or promotion.
Don't send them this article simply because it is motivational.
Send it because sometimes one better question can change the way we look at our work — and therefore the way we live our lives.
Related Posts:
Success Mantra: Empathy For All Humans
BELIEVE YOU CAN SUCCEED AND YOU WILL !!
Financial Freedom Is A Myth! Financial Confidence Is The Reality!!
9 Positive Habits To See Things From Another's Perspective, Will Radically Increase Your Success
Comments
Post a Comment